Desperate times calls for desperate measures….
Although there have not been any alarming statistics yet published, it is only a matter of time that crime and suicide rates will be on the rise. Hence it is better to be safe than sorry, so it is now time to be more cautious.
- Now is not the time to flash your jewellery or expensive items.
- Beware of Phone scams, kidnap scams, lottery scams, tricksters impersonation of law enforcement officials advising victims to remit or transfer money to designated bank accounts etc.
- Beware of pickpockets
- Safeguard your belongings and don’t leave them unattended.
- Lock your doors and windows with secure locks, not those that can easily broken into.
- Do not leave spare keys under the doormat, flower pots, electric meter boxes etc.
- Or leave notes lying around annoucing that you are overseas or not around etc.
- Cancel all deliveries egs newspapers when you are away for an extended time.
- Ask your trusted neighbours to keep an eye out for your property.
- Never open the door for strangers!
- Ask someone to escort you up the elevators if it late at night esp. if you see suspicious characters are loitering around the lift landing.
- Avoid dark deserted shortcuts.
- If confronted surrender your belongings but note distinct features of the culprit.
- Do not lend your mobile phone strangers unless you are prepared to lose it.
- Always walk facing oncoming traffic if possible hold your handbag on the side away from the motorists.
- Do not leave valuables in your car and park in well lit area.
- Do not be lured by strangers who offer lifts or presents, or on the pretext of asking directions for help.
- Check your credit card statements carefully and regularly, so you can alert your bank of any unauthorised transactions immediately.
- Shop online only on reputable sites.
And if you know of anyone who seems exceptionally depressed lately you may want to keep this numbers handy…
SAMARITANS OF SINGAPORE (SOS): 18002214444
SINGAPORE ASSOCIATION FOR MENTAL HEALTH
CARE CORNER MANDARIN COUNSELLING: 18003535800