Great for a battle cry eh? And if you asked me that question I can tell you with all my heart that the answer is NO!…… Why? Well simply because we have a ‘USE BY’ or rather we come with an ‘EXPIRY DATE’ and though I am not afraid of growing old, I am very aware of the horrors that come with age!
Problem is that there quite a number of youths these days who have no respect nor a sense of compassion for the elderly. They couldn’t care less if an old man or woman was tottering right in front of them on the train or buses! And if the elderly is seen rushing for a seat, they are looked upon with contempt by these youths. They tend to forget that they are neither indestructible nor invincible and with time will end up as food for worms too!
Let’s see…what are the horrors that I speak of? Bearing in mind that each and everyone of us was fit and maybe even beautiful at one time….
- Age spots, wrinkles, crows feet, unwanted hair
- Deteriorating eyesight, worst case scenario is not being able to see even just a few feet in front of you.
- Weak hands – lifting even a jug of water can be a painful experience
- Weak legs – walking up staircases is extremely painful, together with a poor sense of balance causes lots of excruciating falls.
- Memory loss or Alzheimer’s- can lead to panic attacks when you cannot make your way home or when you can no longer recognise family or friends.
And we haven’t even dwelved into sickness and diseases….
Anyhow I reckon that I will not go gently into that good night!
( I wrote this a while back )