I applaud Angelina Jolie’s decision to appear on W magazine nursing her child.
Breastmilk is the best food for your baby as it contains all the nutrition that your baby needs in his/her first 6 months.
Furthermore, through your milk, your child will acquire the immunity which you have developed against certain illnesses.
More significantly, breastfeeding enhances the bond between you and your baby. Mothers who breastfeed often feel a strong sense of closeness towards their babies and vice versa.
- Complete nutrition. It contains all the nutrients babies need for the first 4 to 6 months of age.
- Counters risk of infection. Colostrum, the early milk produced after birth, is rich in antibodies. These antibodies help the baby fight against infections e.g. diarrhoea and respiratory infections. Breastfed babies are also less prone to allergies, colic and constipation.
- Comfort and security as your baby feeds from your breast.
- Convenience There is no need for bottles, sterilisation or temperature check.
- Cleanliness Breastmilk is free of germs and washing your nipples with water once daily is sufficient.
- Cost saving Breastmilk does not cost money and saves you paying for formula feeds.
- Contraction of the womb When baby suckles, this reduces the chance of severe bleeding and speeds up the return of the womb to pre-pregnancy size.
- Confidence It builds the mother’s confidence as she fulfills the child’s emotional and physical needs.
- Child spacing Breastfeeding delays the return of menstruation and can help you plan your family if you are fully breastfeeding for the first 6 months.
- Cancers Risk of breast cancer is reduced in women who breastfeed.
- Calories During breastfeeding, calories are used up and the fat stored around the hips and thighs during pregnancy may be lost if a sensible diet is followed.