Facial care is for Women! the rugged individualist in me would say. Afterall men would like to think that their skin is tougher and hence needs minimal or no care. Some may even have fictional notions that we have an auto-renewal, auto-revitalising system ha! How wrong can we get? Our pores are larger and more supceptible to dirt, grime and generally 20% oilier. Moreover the more active or rugged we are, the more likely we will be exposed to sun longer and that my friends is bad for our skin.
Now there a whole lot of products out there especially designed for men, but do we really need so many of them? Depending on your skin type and sensitivity you may need a little more and a careful selection of products specially formulated for sensitive skin. I for one believe that the average man does need some and a little common sense.
Here are my general list of things to do and remember for a basic facial care system…..
- Diet is important, junk food, bad eating habits are a NO NO! Vegetables and fruit goes a long way.
- Avoid excess alcohol, smoking, pretty sure you already knew this was bad for your skin eh?
- Supplements like a multi vitamin with minerals is beneficial and especially good for the skin is Vitamin E.
- Drink lots of water, they were right when they suggested eight glasses a day just not drunk at once! Hydration is key…
- The big scary word for some beginning with ‘E’ is a must….i.e. EXERCISE, yes exercise too is important!
- Get yourself a good facial wash preferably hypoallergenic, I use the clinique bar soap cos I think it is more cost effective. Also always avoid using deodorant soaps on your face because they contain harsh cleansing ingredients and leave a detergent film behind. This will irritate your skin and will clog your pores.
- At least twice a week you’ll have to do another scary thing ( for some) also beginning with E….i.e. EXFOLIATE. Easily done with a good facial scrub you can purchase over the counter. It will remove dead cells and leave the surface of your face feeling soft and smooth. The scrub should be strong without being damaging. Avoid scrubs that contain rough elements like ground bits of nut or seed extracts, as they will tear and damage skin.
- Another necessity is a good light moisturizer, the product with the least amount of chemical additives is the best. Always use a light moisturiser on your face after cleansing and shaving. I personally use ‘Simple Hydrating Light Moisturiser‘ because it is cheap and good.
- Toning – now while this one is good to do, I find a little hard to remember because I generally like a fast and fast free regimen. So why tone? *the next bit I got from the web* ‘Because if you spend a lot of time outside, environmental pollutants play a major role in your skin’s health. Toning helps keep your face clear and firm. As skin ages, it needs to work harder to maintain its elasticity. Astringents and toners with glycolic or alpha hydroxyl acids work the best for toning the face. These acids actually can reduce the pore size, and help avoid ingrown hairs.’
- Sun Protection – Yes important if you spend a lot of time in the sun but remember not too use too much as Sun Blockers contain chemicals as well, in fact some moisturisers out there already have sun protection as well.
Wow when I started writing this post, it did not occur to me that the list was going to be this long…..anyhow do remember that this is just basic facial care advice. Depending on your skin and problems if any, you may need to consult a doctor or dermatologist.
Take care and stay healthy!