Finally managed to get hold of some delicious Tulang Merah aka Bone Marrow aka Bone Steak from Woodgrove. I had been craving it for over a month now but couldn’t find a place nearby where it is still being sold, so that I could buy myself a packet for home. It had been more than two years since I last dived into it! Besides this dish in my opinion, is best eaten twice a year only due to the high cholesterol content.
And as to why I’d rather buy a packet home instead of eating it at the food stall? Well this is certainly not a dish I would savor in public! Why? Because it gets very MESSY!
To truly enjoy it, you’ll need both hands to gnaw at the tender meaty bits around the bone, then there is the sucking and knocking of the bone so that the rich, creamy marrow can slide out nicely either unto the spoon OR you could take a direct hit into the mouth. Some would advise using a straw to suck out the marrow, but for me it is like eating chicken wings with a knife and fork! You just don’t do it if you want to truly enjoy the wing! Besides sucking out the marrow using a straw looks disgustingly like liposuction!
Anyhow here are some things you should avoid if you want to enjoy this dish….
- Don’t ever wear white! Unless you want a red on white polka dot suit.
- Don’t invite anyone to join you unless they too are very much into this dish. Because their disapproving, disgusted looks might put you off.
- Don’t be afraid to suck, lick and tear at it. That is why it is best to eat it at home!
Now here are some things you might want to do again to enjoy this dish….
- Keep lots of tissue paper or paper towels at hand.
- Place the dish over some old newspapers.
- Coat your hands with margarine just before eating. (ignore this is if you are fine with your hands being stained red for a more than 24 hours)
Found a Malay recipe for this dish that looks good though I very much doubt if I’d bother cooking it for myself. So if you do try it, let me know how it turns out okay? Click HERE.